[Scribus] fonts

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Thu Jul 10 14:53:16 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 01:35, Bart Alberti wrote:
> I notice tha my *.pfb fonts (from Corel Draw) all of which are in one folder
> /home/bart/adobepfb
> read ok except Shelley (Allegro, Andante, Volante) and American uncial.
> These print but do not show in the font chooser as  themselves but only as
> mono spaced lettering; and they do not show in the text box but as
> placeholders.
> Funny but I could swear that I did have that going in prior versions.

When I install fonts from Corel Draw, I install both the pfb and .afm
for the fonts. Scribus can use these for kerning. By the way, the fonts
included with Corel Draw are mostly Bitstream fonts and are generally
very reliable for postscript printing. One client has been using them
for years without a problem.

> Odder, I tried to copy ALL the Corel Draw *.PFB from the CD. These come out
> as ../Fonts/TYPE1/A, ../../../B,  ../../../C etc etc.And I cannot get these
> to read at all (they are upper case file names). The folder
> ./home/bart/adobeepfb is working and I can switch it on and off by using the
> "add Font Paths" tab. So I am correct there. But nothing takes hold from
> /home/bart/fonts_corel_draw. Ok if I have to change 2880 names easily is
> there a trick? sed? awk? a shell script?

Try this:

# tolower.sh: convert file names to lower case
# in the current working directory
# Choose either all the files in a directory or
# a command-line list
if [ "$#" -gt 0 ]; then
   filelist="$@" # just the files on command line
else
   filelist=`ls` # all files
fi
for file in $filelist; do
# Use the grep command to determine if the file
# has an upper case letter
# Determine the destination of the mv command by
# down shifting all the
# letters in the file name. Command substituting an
# echo of the file name to the translate filter, tr,
# performs the downshift
   if echo "$file"|grep [A-Z] > /dev/null; then
      mv "$file" `echo "$file"|tr "[A-Z]" "[a-z]"`
   fi
done

Font names should always be in lower case.

> Even more interesting the true type fonts I so proudly installed in
> /home/bart/truetype do not show at all and they are masked by the equivalent
> post script (from Corel Draw, too). I had the nerve to give out advice on
> this topic.
> I do NOT want to use the kfontistaller mechanism > want to keep these fonts
> for Scribus alone which is why I use the tab.

Duplicate fonts in both TT and Type 1 installed at the same time is not
a good idea. This is true with most DTP apps including Pagemaker,
Indesign and even Illustrator.

Hope that helps,
Peter