[Scribus] german quotation marks

John Christian Stoddart jstypo
Wed Dec 17 12:28:10 CET 2003

Hello all,

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 02:37, VANEK Petr wrote:

> > Even better would be a "generic" single and double quotation handling
> > mechanism, where you could select from either French, German, Anglo or
> > anyone else's style quotation marks.
> >
> > Right?
>
> right. I thought about it a month ago because in czech typo we can use
> national quotations or french style (depending on the graphics feeling,
> text content etc.).
>
> There is one more thing to explain - when you work with texts delivered
> to you by writers (usually in DOC :-/) you'll export it into plaintext (as I do)
> so then every quotation mark is '"' (inch mark) and it's a must to convert
> it into right quotation mark.
>
> I would like to ask developers if they will implement some code related to
> this problem or may I write this - I've got some ideas how to solve it.

An ideal mechanism would enable the correct substitution of the
appropriate quotation marks to be made according to context.

QuarkXpress has had a similar simple mechanism involving a preference
dialogue box for entering the quote system you require since way back
that works fine. I'm sure anything done in the oss world just has to be
better!