[Scribus] Feature request for Knoppix Debian users

lists1 lists1
Thu Dec 11 13:48:52 CET 2003

Scribus is great.  It's one of the "wow" apps that I use to show Knoppix to
windows users on their own computers.

I don't know if this has made it into the latest Scribus, but I haven't seen
anyone mention it on list:

When using knoppix from the CD drive and running Scribus, a user can't access
fonts that are on the underlying system.  It appears that when I change the
preferences regarding the fonts to the directory where the fonts on the
underlying system are located, the preferences file needs to be written.
This fails with knoppix.

Knoppix uses a ramdisk as the home directory, and some other magic for layout
that is above my head.  From what I've been able to figure out, it looks like
I can't set the preferences path for fonts because the file won't be written
to the hard drive when using knoppix from cd, it is instead attempting to
write to the linux file system on the CD, which is impossible.

Is it possible to 1. make this work for knoppix by possibly using a "knoppix"
choice where the font path can be set up in ramdisk or on the underlying
system?  For example, knoppix uses /ramdisk/home/knoppix as the home
directory for knoppix.  But I also have an underlying install of suse
(broken) where my users home directories are located in /mnt/sdd12/user1
/mnt/sdd12/user2   ...etc.

I can move fonts to the user home directories, and use that as my path.
Windows users can run the knoppix disk to try out, and set the font path for
Scribus to their C:/Windows/fonts or whatever the appropriate path is for
them.

In order to do this though, the edit/preferences/fonts dialogue box needs to
be able to specify where to save the configuration/options of the font path.
Maybe make a check box, such as  [ ] knoppix -> save configuration in (and
then allow the user to specify the path, such as their home path, of where to
save the configuration, such as /mnt/sdd12/user2/fonts)

Second feature, if it is not already enabled, is to be able to set multiple
paths on different partitions for fonts.

The failure to write the preferences choice (for fonts) would probably exist
for other preferences as well.  I haven't tested it that far, just used it to
make a flyer, and used the available fonts.

Relevant info:  I'm using Knoppix release of what should be version 3.3 or
later of the knoppix release (can't check the cd without shutting down, it's
the one with the 2.4.22-xfs kernel) and the Scribus version shows as 1.0

Above is a feature request for others, as I'd like to be able to show others a
more functional Scribus (and Knoppix) by allowing them preference options,
especially with fonts.  I'm setting up a debian box for myself, so I won't be
running knoppix from CD much longer.

Thanks for a great application.

Bing.

ps, maybe you can send over an email to let the Knoppix developers know that
Scribus should be updated in Knoppix?