[Scribus] Report on publishing with scribus

Malte Cornils malte
Thu Dec 11 03:05:18 CET 2003

Hi...

I've recently finished publishing a campus magazine (the "Quappe") with
scribus. I'd like to share my problems with that, maybe it's helpful. Of
course, scribus is mentioned in the credits ("Impressum") :-).

It's a non-professional work for a non-commercial political campus
organization, and it's in German. It is currently being distributed for free
(2000 of them).

http://www.usta.de/StuPa/GAL/quappe/dezember_03/quappe.pdf
http://www.usta.de/RefAk/Aussen/privat/quappe_scribus.sla (w/o images and
fonts, document under GPL)
http://www.quappe.org/

1.) Spacing around images had to be done via text areas around them. A setting
for image frames for text distances would be great.

2.) On the template pages: Alt-# was documented somewhere for "insert page
number". Not documented was that this works only up to page 9. For the
correct behaviour for pages ranging from 0-99, you have to press Alt-# twice.
This means, however, that from 0-9 there is too much space in front of the
number (since 9 gets rewritten as empty-space 9). Like for protected spaces,
there could be an insert special-menu somewhere so you do not have to go
hunting through the docs.

3.) Page 3, right coloumn: Ge- schichte; there is lots of empty space after
the Ge-, this should either not happen or scribus should warn the user (like
"underfull hbox" in LaTeX)

4.) Page 5, left coloumn: Gesetzesd- schungel; incorrect hyphenation.

5.) I have to blame myself for not choosing a text style where the spacing
after each paragraph is compatible with normal text (Page 1, after the first
paragraph in the right coloumn, lines begin differently at left and right
coloumns). Vertical alignment to manually correct this would be nice even
when you do this correctly.

6.) Exporting this to PDF yields a PDF which can not be read in ghostscript
(Acrobat and xpdf manages this fine). Error is:
Error: /typecheckGNU Ghostscript 7.07: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
 in --length--
Operand stack:
   --dict:5/5(L)--   Fo4S0   10   --dict:9/9(L)--   --dict:9/9(L)--   695421
--dict:9/9(L)--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   256
--nostringval--
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3
%oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2   --

7.) When putting a word in italics (a different font) somewhere in a paragraph
which has a style assigned to it, and going to Edit/Styles... and pressing
save immediately after, the customization is lost. This should be a bug. In
Pagemaker, you could assign a style preserving manual changes or not
preserving them. The current global non-preserving assign is rather ugly.

8.) Single lonely lines at the end of a text box are possible, also at the
beginning of a new one ("Schusterjungen" etc). This should optionally be
prevented, or warned about. If scribus could slightly change the kerning
automatically like LaTeX does it, it would be possible.

9.) Ctrl-Cursor selections is already on the wishlist - very useful obviously.

10.) I needed to have the A5 quappe for printing after downloading it, but A5
with a specific order on A4 pages for prepress (16 and 1, 2 and 15, ...) and
also mirrored. scribus could not do this in that combination. I used pdfpages
LaTeX module for that (and a local modification called  pdfreverse which does
the same thing, just mirrored).

11.) With 75 dpi, the resulting PDF is rather large. I have a distinct feeling
Acrobat Distiller does a better job when producing for Internet distribution.

Those have been my problems when doing the layout (really major are 1, 3, 7).
The story editor is very very very useful - without it, it wouldn't have been
possible. All other bugs I've had have now been fixed in the latest CVS (!).
Thank you!

-Malte #8-)