[Scribus] The nature of scribus ".sla" files

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu Dec 4 07:49:01 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 23:14, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> I was noticing that ".sla" files are quite small compared with PDF
> files, so I decided to look at them, and see that they are a markup type
> of file.
>
> The question I have in that regard is that, as I understand the
> contents, a scribus .sla file is mainly a set of instructions, which
> then uses outside data, such as fonts and images, to create what you see
> on the screen?  Which of course means that sending someone an .sla file
> without the associated images and without knowing that they also have
> the correct fonts would not display properly -- this, I suppose, one of
> the reasons to convert to PDF?

If they dont have to edit the file.. then a PDF with all fonts embedded
are a perfect way to get a document to someone.

> Does scribus crash if it can't find the image files? A rhetorical
> question, since I tried it out and happily report that not only did it
> not crash, the graphics box showed the name of the file it couldn't find
> -- nice.
>
> So, getting back to my original question on a practical level -- let's
> say two people were collaborating on a file, sending it back and forth.
>   If they have the fonts and images, is that all they need in addition
> to the .sla file? Are there (so far) any problems with them having two
> different versions of Scribus (e.g. 1.0 and 1.1.3)?

If they have the fonts and images.. then yes.. all they need is the .sla
file. There is "Collect for Output" on the File menu. This will give you
all the initial files (not fonts though) when sending it to the 2nd
person the first time.

Craig