[Scribus] The nature of scribus ".sla" files

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Dec 3 23:14:19 CET 2003

I was noticing that ".sla" files are quite small compared with PDF
files, so I decided to look at them, and see that they are a markup type
of file.

The question I have in that regard is that, as I understand the
contents, a scribus .sla file is mainly a set of instructions, which
then uses outside data, such as fonts and images, to create what you see
on the screen?  Which of course means that sending someone an .sla file
without the associated images and without knowing that they also have
the correct fonts would not display properly -- this, I suppose, one of
the reasons to convert to PDF?

Does scribus crash if it can't find the image files? A rhetorical
question, since I tried it out and happily report that not only did it
not crash, the graphics box showed the name of the file it couldn't find
-- nice.

So, getting back to my original question on a practical level -- let's
say two people were collaborating on a file, sending it back and forth.
  If they have the fonts and images, is that all they need in addition
to the .sla file? Are there (so far) any problems with them having two
different versions of Scribus (e.g. 1.0 and 1.1.3)?

Greg Pittman