[Scribus] 1.1.3 bug

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Thu Dec 4 03:41:29 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 17:45, Wayne Maeda wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2003 12:00 pm, Peter Linnell wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 21:31, Wayne Maeda wrote:
> > > Just installed 1.1.3 and the same bug that was in previous versions is
> > > still in 1.1.3. I refer to the "Snap to Grid/Guidelines" bug that
> > > interferes with the alignment of objects within groups and selected
> > > objects. As it is right now, moving multiple objects with the "Snap to
> > > Grid" or "Snap to Guidelines" commands turned on is a crapshoot. Can
> > > someone please verify that this bug exists?
> > >
> > > Here's how to test it.
> > >
> > > 1. Turn on either "Snap to Grid" and/or "Snap to Guidelines." If using
> > > the guidelines, make sure to place a few guidelines on your page.
> > > 2. Create a group of objects (squares, ovals, etc.) by either grouping
> > > these objects or selecting them.
> > > 3. Note the alignment between objects in the group.
> > > 4. Move this group around, crossing over the guidelines if you have any.
> >
> > I've tested some of these issues and so far I cannot see them, but there
> > is more testing to do.
>
> Place some guidelines on the page. Make several passes across the guidelines
> with the group, unclicking the mouse button between passes. You will see the
> objects move in relation to each other. Make sure "Snap to Guidelines" is
> enabled.

After my mail, we found some issues there. Nothing conclusive. I would
note, by ungrouping, but then immediately making a group selection by
dragging a marquee around the whole gruop, I could move things around
fairly reliably.

> > > The alignment between objects in the group will change, sometimes only
> > > slightly, but enough to affect your design.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Wayne
> > >
> > > This bug also affected imported SVG images in the past but so far, I
> > > haven't been able to successfully use my import filter in this version.
> >
> > ? Where are the SVG files created? Please feel free to send me them for
> > testing./inspection. Note if you are saving from Sodipodi or Inkscape,
> > you should save as plain SVG.  I use SVG quite a bit in Scribus files,
> > as they print and export into PDF very nicely.
>
> I created the SVG files in Sodipodi (ver.0.32), saving them in both native
> SodipodiSVG and plainSVG. They will not import into 1.1.3. All I see is a
> little icon and a dotted outline that seem endless. When I place the icon, it
> disappears and nothing happens. I'll keep trying.

A couple of things might be happening:

1.The measurements might not be matching.
2. Sometimes, when importing SVG i have found unclosed paths from SVG
files created in Sodipodi, though  it has gotten better with time.
Workarounds: a. Open the outline tool and check the measurements of
imported objects. In some cases they were wildy larger than intended. b.
Ungroup and select individual objects, then with the vector tool
palette, ckick the close path button. Then objects magically appear.

Another thing to check is the color palette. You should see any colors
defined in the SVG file there.

Please feel free to send me a couple of samlpe SVG files for testing.

Regards,
Peter