[Scribus] export pdf;cvs now

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Mon Dec 1 00:07:28 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 17:48, bart at solozone.com wrote:
> I read the postings about the export pdf using big sizes.
> I do not seem to have that problem but I test with 36
> points anyway! (:-).
>
> Using Bitstream Vera Regular I got a fine pdf which however
> did not appear in 'gv' but only in Acroread. Gv threw up an
> error message.

It might be a font access issue with True Type fonts.

I've commented before that gv and derivates are a bit old and I do not
expect them to handle the up to date PDF features Scribus can generate.
Personally, i do not even bother to install it any more.

My experience and preference with PDF viewers:

Acro Reader
GsView (requires shared libgs.so, which is not default in all distros)
Xpdf 2.x (with a properly setup .xpdfrc file - details from man xpdf)

This is why:
http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/gsview.html

and
http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/acroreader.html

> I erased Vera and used Caslon. However this showed up even
> with all text from Vera erased as using that font. Caslon
> shows up in both gv and acrobrat reader OK.

Is is a type 1 caslon or Open Type Caslon ? Curious if this makes a
difference.

> Query: if one erases all examples of its text does one not
> eliminate the use of that font? Quark I recall (I no longer
> use it) had a search and replace dialog for fonts, also.
> Perhaps one should see a Word Perfect like 'reveal codes'
> function

There is a function in PDF export, which checks to see if a font is
actually used and it does not export unless it is needed. It might be
listed in Acro Reader, but it does not get embedded. Even if you select
:embed all fonts in the PDF export options.

> Do I see no search and replace at all here?
>
> Where are we in cvs now with 1.1.3 out?
> Is the update automatic? I.e.
> cvs -z3 update Scribus
>
> I used midnight commander to drop my whole ~/Scribus
> folder (the cvs one I mean). Premature?
> I have come to like cvs.

The good thing is Franz and Paul have done an extremely good job of
making sure cvs is buildable and pretty stable. I run cvs daily and have
had few problems because of this.

With the problems at scribus.org.uk all cvs access is down. It looks
like the entire univeristy is off the net.

As soon as possible, we are going to post a 1.1.3.1, which has the PDF
line and type size issue fixed. Just bear with us for a bit please.

Hope that helps,
Peter