[Scribus] Re: can't print graphics -- you're using the Postscript driver, correct?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith
Sun Aug 24 18:31:07 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 18:33, Gracia M. Littauer wrote:
> Strange problem. My printer works with all my programs except scribus. I
> can print text, but not if the file has a picture in it, or just a
> picture file. The printer, Laserjet HP4m, is busy for about 5 blinks &
> then just stops.
> I have checked the printer's CUPS configuration...it even prints in
> gimp! Tried all the tricks we could think of...nothing.

I assume you're using the Postscript driver, and not the HP LaserJet 4
driver.  If not, switch, graphics are the first thing that will hang a
PCL driven printer in _any_ OS.  Unless, of course, the LJ4M doesn't
support Postscript (I thought it comes with it by default ... or is that
the "Plus" models?).

Secondly, I assume you're sending all ASCII85 and not any binary to the
printer.  Does Scribus attempt to send binary Postscript at all?  Is it
configurable to send ASCII85 encoded instead?

Bryan J. Smith, E.I.             b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs.org/certs.pdf         http://thebs.org