[Fwd: Re: [Scribus] Newbie font-question]

Craig Bradney cbradney
Fri Aug 22 13:48:10 CEST 2003

HI Peter

> A lot depends on what you do in ID. There are a lot of common abilites
> like vector drawing tools and excellent PDF export. Certainly we have a
> better mailing list.<g>

Hardly use the vector tools, but definitely use the PDF stuff. I produce
a bi-monthly magazine. How well does Scribus handle large documents
(well.. up to 100mb ID files), with many large, high resolution images.
I often use transparencies and overlapping text/images etc. Basic
magazine stuff I guess.

> There was an earlier post about this today with a short script to fix
> this.

Cant find that script to rename fonts, have been reading the list for a
week or so.

> You should have the Xfree-utils package or something similar which
> should have ttfmkfdir and mkfontdir. Older distros might also have
> mkfontscale.

have ttmkfdir

> # ttfmkdir -o fonts.scale and then:
>
> # ttfmkdir -o fonts.dir

Although the font in question works perfectly in all other programs..
have renamed the font from Font Name.ttf to fontname.ttf and have then
run ttmkfdir as above.

> 4. I now always install fonts via the Kfontinstaller, as root and enable
> the option to create .afm files for all fonts.

I have the afm file for this font, and others. Have installed it with Kfontinstaller originally

> 5. Some of the apps which change the font path on the fly in Linux: Open
> OFfice, Star Office, Abiword, KDE - when launched. Open these before
> Scribus.

KDE runs by default.

> There is a lot of info on font installation and how the font discovery
> mechanism in fontconfig works in the documentation - you did install the
> docs ?

fontconfig was emerged as part of the rest of the system... as for docs... hmm.

After renaming the font, rerunning ttmkfdir, rebooting, the font still works perfectly
 in KDE, eg Kword, and in KDE windows themselves.. but not in Scribus. Any more ideas?

regards

Craig