[Scribus] Newbie font-question

mpdickens at tlanta.com mpdickens
Wed Aug 20 06:50:05 CEST 2003

Peter Linnell wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 11:50, Ralf H?ling wrote:
>

>><snip>
>>

>>but I'm no hacker and no geek, so is there any documentation about
>>font-management in *nix and X11, so that the fonts will be usable in
>>Scribus?
>>Where is the directory with fonts.scale and fonts.dir?

Both fonts.scale and fonts.dir reside in the *same* directory
that contain the fonts you are adding. For example, if your
fonts are in:

/usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/YourNewFonts

Then both fonts.scale and fonts.dir should also be in this directory
with your fonts. A fairly complete explanation of how to add fonts
can be found at:

  http://www.guides.sk/muo-mar02/xwin/xfont.html

Oh yeah, if any of the font names have blank spaces in them, it will
confuse ghostscript and not be available for printing (Even though it
may or may not be display by your xserver. This is because a blank space
is not empty, but is, in fact, a non printable ascii character. Therefore,
remove all blank spaces.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens
Alpharetta, Georgia USA