[Scribus] Newbie font-question

Ralf Höling r.hoeling
Tue Aug 19 17:50:42 CEST 2003

Hi Peter!
Am Dienstag, 19.08.03, um 07:29 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Peter
Linnell:

> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 12:44, Ralf H?ling wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 17.08.03, um 21:05 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Peter
>> Linnell:
>>
> This is where OSX meets old X11 and they do not work quite the same
> way.. lower case font names are pretty standard in Linux and IIRC
> Solaris.

O.K., I will try to rename some fonts and have a look if it works
better.

>>> With the latest versions of KDE 3.1.1+, I have found the
>>> Kfontinstaller
>> I think this is not available for MacOSX.
>
> True. One of the big complaints about OSX when it was released vs.
> MacOS
> 8/9 was font management. I do not know if it has improved.

Now it's very good, no problem using any kind of fonts, even
windows-fonts, which always was a problem under Mac OS 7-9

>>> Scribus is necessarily quite particular about how your fonts are
>>> installed and configured. Not a bug - a feature IMNSHO.
>> I think there was someone with the name of Bill who also told people
>> the same about his software ;-)
>
> No it is true. Less to do with OSX, than the general mess of fonts in
> Xfree86 on Linux.

This is right, I think.

>>> In the DTP world
>>> crappy broken fonts or poor installation cause lots of problems.
>> I work with my fonts on Mac for over ten years without any problem
>>   and now they shall be crappy?
>
> Nope. Just remember Scribus can only use Type1 and True Type fonts.
> Open
> Type font support is in the works. As above, the standard fonts in
> Xfree86 on Linux are not the best for DTP. With a Mac, this is far far
> less of a problem.
Yes, I think so.

> X11 and thus Scribus depends on the fonts.scale and fonts.dir in each
> font directory to be perfect or not all the fonts will show.

I found very much but very different about using fonts in
Linux/FreeBSD/X11
but I'm no hacker and no geek, so is there any documentation about
font-management in *nix and X11, so that the fonts will be usable in
Scribus?
Where is the directory with fonts.scale and fonts.dir?

> I think it is important to keep in mind a few things.
>
> 1. While we really do appreciate the folks who have done the porting
> work for Scribus, none of the main developers runs or test OSX on their
> own.
This is a pity for them and for me, I think ;-)

> 2. the X11 from Apple is a bit different and has been modified to work
> with OSX, so incompatibilites will show up in complex apps like
> Scribus.
I understand.

> 3. We cannot fix things if we do not have hints were the problems lie
> and how they might be fixed.
I can give you hints, but as you see, I don't know much about Linux/Unix
and X11.
Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate your tips very much, but I was
a little bit disappointed when I recognized, that my favourite fonts
don't
work with scribus.

Best regards

Ralf