[Scribus] More Questions

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Aug 9 07:43:24 CEST 2003

> Quark 4 was excessively crashy from day one. Quark was aware of this and
> released anyway. The problem did not go away until nearly two years
> later with the release of XPress 4.1. Upgrading just that far would save
> you loads of headaches.

I wish. We're using Quark 4.1.1 already. I'll grant that it was an
improvement, but it's still pretty shocking. The PDF import plugin (yes,
plugin - no native PDF support) may be the culprit, since we've been
doing a bit better since we removed that and instead started using
Acrobat to conver PDFs to EPS files.

> As for Scribus on LTSP machines or remoteX, that sounds like a real
> winner with the right network.

I think so. The low per-user / per-workstation cost would be a shocking
turnaround from the current DTP situation. Of course, things like a
version of Photoshop for Linux would really be needed...

> VNC might be even better if you've
> already got a large collection of Windows machines.

You'd be much better off with Cygwin's XFree86 IMHO. VNC is ugly and
slow, and /really/ not the sort of thing I'd want to do DTP with.

> The advantage of
> remoteX is that newer X servers can pass everything through SSH for
> security.

I know :-)

You can do it with VNC too of course, as I have to do when doing admin
on our NT4 box remotely, but it ain't fun.