[Scribus] Re: Scribus Nachrichtensammlung, Band 6, Eintrag 6

Keith Marshall keith.d.marshall
Fri Aug 8 05:10:05 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 8:30 pm, Lee McLain wrote:
> Hey all,
> 	Well, I tried to get the QTDIR environment variable so that the system
> knew where the Qt files were, but that didn't work. I am running Red Hat 9
> and I did update the Qt libraries to the newest versions.  Other than that,
> I have all the libraries that are needed to compile Scribus, but I still
> get the same error during config saying that I need a newer version of Qt
> =>3.0.2, which I have. I don't know what else to do...do anybody else?
>
> Thanks,
> Lee

What does config.log say about the cause of your failure?

I too am trying to build Scribus 1.0, but configure is telling me I don't
have Qt>=3.0.2.  It is lying -- I have Qt == 3.0.5 correctly installed, in
/usr/share/qt3; ($QTDIR="/usr/share/qt3" is exported, /etc/ld.so.conf
includes the reference to /usr/share/qt3/lib, and I invoked configure as
./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/share/qt3).  My config.log says ...

------------[snip]---------------------------------------------------------------
configure:13403: checking for Qt
configure: 13471: /usr/share/qt3/include/qstyle.h
taking that
configure:13580: rm -rf SunWS_cache; g++ -o conftest
-I/usr/share/qt3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
-D_REENTRANT  -L/usr/share/qt3/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib   conftest.cc  -lqt-mt
-lpng -lz -lm -ljpeg -ldl  -lXext -lX11 -lSM -lICE  -lresolv -lpthread 1>&5
In file included from /usr/include/g++-3/stl_algobase.h:50,
                 from /usr/include/g++-3/list:30,
                 from /usr/share/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h:49,
                 from /usr/share/qt3/include/qmap.h:47,
                 from /usr/share/qt3/include/qmime.h:43,
                 from /usr/share/qt3/include/qevent.h:45,
                 from /usr/share/qt3/include/qobject.h:45,
                 from /usr/share/qt3/include/qwidget.h:43,
                 from /usr/share/qt3/include/qdesktopwidget.h:42,
                 from /usr/share/qt3/include/qapplication.h:42,
                 from conftest.cc:3:
confdefs.h:11: previous declaration of `void exit (int)' with C++
linkage
/usr/include/stdlib.h:577: conflicts with new declaration with C
linkage
/usr/include/stdlib.h:577: declaration of `void exit (int) throw ()'
throws different exceptions
confdefs.h:11: than previous declaration `void exit (int)'
configure:13583: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <qglobal.h>
#include <qapplication.h>
#include <qcursor.h>
#include <qstylefactory.h>
#include <private/qucomextra_p.h>
#if ! (QT_VERSION >= 302)
#error 1
#endif

int main() {
    (void)QStyleFactory::create(QString::null);
    QCursor c(Qt::WhatsThisCursor);
    return 0;
}
configure:13623: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0.2) (library qt-mt) not found. Please
check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
Make sure that you have compiled Qt with thread support!
------------[snip]---------------------------------------------------------------

Take a close look at *why* this failed.  It has choked on an invalid
declaration for the exit function, in confdefs.h, *before* it ever got to
test anything about the Qt installation.

Now, configure builds confdefs.h dynamically, right.  So, why is it putting
this rogue declaration in there?  In fact, why is it declaring exit at all,
since this is properly declared in stdlib.h in any case?

This is something which the Scribus package maintainers really need to take a
look at;  I don't know how to fix it either.  I do know that configure itself
is built by autoconf, using instructions from configure.in, aclocal.m4 and
acinclude.m4;  I have had a look at them,  but the problem does not appear to
lie there, so perhaps it is a problem with autoconf itself?

I am trying to build this on a Mandrake 8.2 system, with Qt 3.0.5 compiled
from source, (including thread support). My compiler is GCC 2.96, and I also
have autoconf 2.13.  Is it simply a case that I need to upgrade to a later
GCC (and perhaps autoconf too), or is there some other issue here?

I would dearly like to get Scribus 1.0 installed, but so far I am stumped.
Any suggestions please?

Regards,
Keith