[Scribus] More Questions

Paul paulf.johnson
Thu Aug 7 09:36:09 CEST 2003

Hi,

> We've currently got Quark crashing whenever we try to print documents
> with placed PDFs - it suddenly started happening on all 6 workstations,
> with most PDFs. *sigh*. Quark support says "we don't know, and why are
> you using that old version <hint hint> anyway". The moral of the story:
> commercial doesn't always better support, since they may have their own
> priorities.

Quark's support is not much cop to be honest. I had a problem with the
instructions to install QuarkExpress 5 and that bloody awful licence
software. In the end, I had to phone Switzerland (emails were never
replied to) and they told me how to do it. Seems the install
instructions were wrong. For commercial kit, I'm of the opinion that if
all you need is MS Works (!) for DOS then that's all you need. Upgrading
to a brand new, high spec box may be nice, but completely unrequired.

> I'm tracking Scribus development, and would love to try it out on an ad
> workstation some time. We've got a significant LTSP deployment, and
> being able to use Scribus on those boxes would rock.

Go for it!

> I don't know if you folk have thought about this issue, but the
> combination of Scribus, a seriously grunty server (like our dual xeon
> 2.4 with 2 gigs of ram) and LTSP clients has a lot of potential for
> things like ad workstations at newspapers.

Yup. I'm running something similar at the moment at work (until I get
told to change it back, which will be just after I get back from my
hols). It's fantastic!

> One of the things
> I'm focusing on is testing Scribus over remote X11, and that's the main
> reason.

If you find any problems with Scribus with this method, please, let us
know ASAP.

TTFN

Paul
--