[Scribus] More Questions

Patrick magicpage91
Wed Aug 6 23:31:48 CEST 2003

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:53:17 +0200 (SAST)
s2003170 at tuks.co.za wrote:

> Thanks for all the answers, i'm well on my way to becoming a scribus
> user. We started our newspapers layout (Normal newspaper as in The
> Times for those who wondered).
>

> I would like to know what kind of CPU and RAM would suffice for
> scribus. We want to get a Nforce 2 motherbord with dual screen
> capability with a 2500 Athlon. I was thinking about getting 256, 512
> or 1024 meg ram what would you suggest?(think 48 pages filled with
> text and mixed with a few full color foto's).
>
> Any advice on starting and laying out a newspaper would also be
> appreciated. :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Kobus Wolvaardt
>
> N.S. We are dedicating 1, maybe 2, pages to opensource. Articles
> explanations and reviews.

Hello,
If I were you, I might reconsider my choice of motherboards as I have
seen and heard of several user problems with the Nvidia chipset.  I
would stay with the standard, well supported VIA or SIS chipsets.  Stay
away from the ViA KT333 as it contains bugs that requires a newer kernel
to bypass the bugs.  Don't know if the KT400 corrected those or not.
MSI makes a good KT400 board and they are of high quality.  ECS K7S5A
pro and the newer L7S7A2 with the Sis chipsets are outstanding boards
for Linux.  On memory, go for at least 512mb, as you will probably never
overload that, unless doing very large graphics.  You would probably
never overload 256, but with ram at their present prices, why not a bit
more?

On the newspaper, take your cues from those already available and
improve upon those things you think could be better.

Patrick

--
          ---SuSE Linux v8.2 Pro---
        Registered Linux User #225206