[Scribus] suggestions

Paul paulf.johnson
Wed Aug 6 14:07:31 CEST 2003

Hi,

> according to all the import-filter-wishes (quark, pagemaker, indesign) i would
> like to add corel-draw and adobe-illustrator-files and
> macromedia-freehand-files to those, which are also worth to think about as
> well....

I can't say what others will be up to, but on my part, I won't be
touching any of the media filetypes, for one thing, they are *really*
complex things to handle.

> there could firstly all wishes for supported file-types be collected, then in
> a second step be disccussed form several point of views (and maybe voted?)
> and then become part of a todo-list or let's better say a list of "wishes for
> certain file-types to be supported"

Nice idea, bad in principle.

It is bad for a couple of reasons, the most of which is the level of
difficulty (and therefore time) it takes to reverse engineer formats.
Pagemaker was a doddle (took about an hour to figure the basics out),
Quark is a constant pain (after three weeks, it was unstable. After 6
weeks, it more stable, but still unstable!) and I don't have any
documentation for InDesign format, so that could be anything.

If someone wants a specific format adding in, then either myself (or
Franz or anyone else who wants to) will look at it and decide if it's
going to be an effective use of time away from the core application. We
won't say no (unless it's impossible or really nasty like MS Publisher)
but they will drop down the list.

TTFN

Paul
--