[Scribus] Installing on Gentoo.

John Culleton john
Tue Aug 5 21:25:49 CEST 2003

This will read like a bad vaudeville routine. Sorry.

The bad news is that Scribus 1.0 will not compile on Slackware Linux
9.0 because of Qt problems.

The good news is that the clever can maintain two sets of Qt libraries
and get it to compile.

The bad news is the the unclever (me) can trash KDE and lots of other
things in this attrempt.

The good news is that Gentoo has all up to date libraries and it will
compile there.

The bad news is that whereas .8 version will emerge and compile the
1.0 version will not emerge because the distribution is "masked."
(What does masked mean? Good question. I suspect it has something to
do with a different download site than .8 but that is just my guess.)

The good news is that one can download it without using the emerge
mechnism and unpack it, ./configure it etc. and it will compile clean
and run.

The bad new is that having achieved this happy state I haven't a clue
about  how to use it to do simple typesetting tasks. The manual just
deals with the menus and their choices.

The remaining good news is that one of the gurus has promised a pdf
manual. Hopefully it will be a bit of a tutorial.

Ah me!
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers