[Scribus] The Bitstream Vera "Final" Fonts are released by Gnome

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Thu Apr 24 01:33:23 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 18:12, Steve Herrick wrote:
> Peter Linnell wrote:
>
> >>Did that. I included local.conf. Was that right?
> >>

> >No, only one. Duplicate fonts can cause problems. Too fast with the
> >keyboard.
> >
> Ummm... only one font can go in the .fonts folder? Or should I take out
> the "local.conf" file?

No,  the important thing is not to have the same font files in two
different directories. I have a ~/.fonts directory where I move fonts in
and out all the time. In mine, there are typically 20-30 individual
fonts from different families.

The local.conf file should not be touched, this is a default XML
configuration file which can cause all kinds of problems if moved or
deleted.

> >Because my goof would make scribus see those directories as not having
> >valid font paths. Scribus checks this very thouroughlly (in
> >self-defense) of font paths with broken fonts.dir files.  Add a whole
> >bunch of fonts and this quality check slows down loading of Scribus.
> >
> OK, it's seeing the .fonts directory again.

Good, then any fonts you add or delete, then do the $ ttfmkdir &&
mkfontdir && fc-cache -v  -f ./ dance...

Then these fonts should be seen in Scribus if it is relaunched.

> If I can have this working by Monday, I'll still have time to use
> Scribus for my newsletter, which has to come out the first of May.
>

> I know all about it. The fact that I'm still struggling to get this to
> do what I want doesn't mean I'm not grateful for all the work that's
> gone into it.

It is getting easier with the new changes and it is much more reliable.

Regards,
Peter