[Scribus] The Bitstream Vera "Final" Fonts are released by Gnome

Steve Herrick steveh
Thu Apr 24 00:12:22 CEST 2003

Peter Linnell wrote:

>>Did that. I included local.conf. Was that right?
>>

>No, only one. Duplicate fonts can cause problems. Too fast with the
>keyboard.

Ummm... only one font can go in the .fonts folder? Or should I take out
the "local.conf" file?

>I goofed the first step - oops
>
>$ cd  to directory with new fonts
>
>$ ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale ( for True Type fonts only)
>or just  (mkfontscale for Type1)
>$ mkfontdir
>$ fc-cache -v  -f ./

OK, so far, so good.

>Because my goof would make scribus see those directories as not having
>valid font paths. Scribus checks this very thouroughlly (in
>self-defense) of font paths with broken fonts.dir files.  Add a whole
>bunch of fonts and this quality check slows down loading of Scribus.

OK, it's seeing the .fonts directory again.

>This is in fact quite common with most DTP apps. They *really* need to
>know what real fonts are installed *and* installed properly.

I'm fine with that. I'll take all the precision it has to offer.

>>Well, maybe that's the problem. Where would I get these?
>>

>On my hard drive, being rewritten as fast as I can... I am hoping for a
>weekend release of revised docs.

Perhaps that explains why Vera is still not in the fonts list.

If I can have this working by Monday, I'll still have time to use
Scribus for my newsletter, which has to come out the first of May.

>The other thing that helps is to upgrade Qt to 3.1.2, the text display
>with good fonts is much improved. Probably the best since Qt 2.3.1 and
>Scribus 0.6.

Too late for that today. I'll try it tomorrow.

>Sorry for goofs, we are only human...

I know all about it. The fact that I'm still struggling to get this to
do what I want doesn't mean I'm not grateful for all the work that's
gone into it.

--
Steve
=====