[Scribus] The Bitstream Vera "Final" Fonts are released by Gnome

tech at atlantictechsolutions.com tech
Tue Apr 22 18:55:44 CEST 2003

At Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:32:09 +0000 , Steve Herrick <steveh at greens.org> wrote:

>Quoting Peter Linnell <scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Some good news. The Bitstream Vera Fonts have been released by Jim
>> Gettys and Gnome.  http://www.gnome.org/fonts/
>>
>> Vera is a general purpose family of fonts with an open source friendly
>> license.  I recommend you read the release notes carefully, as there are
>> some hints about freetype and fontconfig.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>
>I'm just now getting around to trying this. So far, no luck. I tried putting
>them in /usr/share/fonts/TTF/default/, if I recall correctly, and then
>restarting Gnome.
>
>Can someone explain in small words how to install these fonts?
>
>Steve
>
>==
>I'm reluctant to use fancy polysyllables like "philosophy"
>to refer to what seems ordinary common sense.
>- Noam Chomsky

IIRC, you have RH 8.0.

First, add ./fonts to your home directory. Then drop the fonts you want to install.

Then open a console and do the following:

$ mkfontscale
$ mkfontdir
$ fc-cache -v  -f ./

Then go to: http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/fontprefs.html

and add this directory to scribus font preferences panel *without* a doc open. There will be slight pause as Scribus refreshes Xfree's font paths.

Then these new fonts will be available to Scribus.

The docs relating to font handling need quite a bit of rewriting, as Franz has added a lot more capabilities with Unicode, freetype etc. The new font preference setup works very well for me, provided you have correct fonts.scale and fonts.dir in each font directory listed in your font path.

Overall, these are great enhancements which will make font handling easier for end users over time.

Regards,
Peter