[Scribus] Zwei Versionen

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Apr 16 07:33:43 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 03:22, Petr Van?k wrote:
> Dne po 14. dubna 2003 20:45 Michael Streckfuss napsal(a):
> > Now I want more! Is it possible to install an additional
> > beta-release without deinstalling the stable-release? If so,
> > what is to bear in mind to avoid the releases to come into
> > conflict with each other (perhaps I have to rename the
> > binary?)?
>
> i guess
>
> ./configure --prefix=/path/where/the/second/scribus/located
>
> and after make; make install run
> /path/where/the/second/scribus/located/bin/scribus
>
> let's hope it'll be working

I did this quite regularly from 0.5.x to 0.8. on RH for testing
purposes. Petr's "guess" is correct. I recommend  ./configure
--prefix=/opt/ for devel versions and ./configure for "stable".

That said, my experience (since 0.3.7) with the way Franz (to his
credit) has developed Scribus, there have been *very* few broken "devel"
versions of Scribus. Most of the 0.9.x versions I have found have been
quite stable as the "stable" 0.8, along with some very worthwhile
enhancements.

If stability is a concern:

1) Use either Qt 3.0.5+ or QT 3.1.2. 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 had some nasty bugs
which affected Scribus stability with all releases.

2) Make sure binutils and gcc are up to date. There is a stability gain
just going from gcc 2.96 to gcc 3.2 on RH for example. Compiler bugs do
cause crashes.

3) Use good high quality fonts, which are installed properly.

4) Use good images files - EPS, PNG and TIFF are best. PNG and TIFFs
from GIMP usually are quite reliable.

Hope that helps,
Peter
--