[scribus-dev] python: Pillow?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Nov 11 15:05:32 UTC 2018

On 11/11/18 4:11 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi doc kattt
>> I was just curious if anyone has ever talked about adding the Python
>> package "Pillow" to Scribus.  It's a fork of PIL(Python Image
>> Library). I was able to import it into the Scribus python by adding
>> it's path from a different python to the sys.path list. I was using
>> it to do some image stuff.  Maybe I have the right idea of just
>> adding it to the path? ;)
>

> i think that installing python packages the way you normally do in
> python.
>
> starting adding packages to scribus itself is imo a bad idea...
>
> if one day it will be possible to create more complex workflows with
> the scripter, it would probably be nice if scribus could
> "automatically" load a virtual environment before running the script.
> that way you could install (and document) packages for a single script.

If you're using Windows, Jean tells me that in order to use a system Python and any additional packages, all you need to do is to go to the Scribus directory in Windows and look for the directory named 'python'. Change that name to anything else and Scribus will look to the system for Python -- just make sure it's at least 2.7 or better.