[scribus-dev] Scribus CTL

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue Mar 22 20:07:21 UTC 2016

>>> We couldn’t see such differences in the file you sent, see the diff
>>> images in Dawood’s reply.
>>
>> At lower zoom levels I can see them, at higher ones, no.
>
> I can check again, but if it depends on zoom level so it might be
> related to the different font rasterisation strategy we are using.

You can see it there. Host on is the left.

>>> It was indeed that the last glyph in the line was always remove, should
>>> be fixed now.
>>
>> Now thats better.
>>
>> We need some more complex tests apart from the file I created. Ideas
>> on how we can do this?
>
> We have a collection of files we use for testing here, not complex but
> they try to test different features. I’ll try to collect and send them.
>
>> Also, what about any ideas on rendering speed comparisons?
>
> I have no idea how to measure that, but I worked on optimizing the rendering
> (after profiling was callgrind) fearing that ours was too slow, to
> discover that we are actually feel much faster than trunk (text
> selection, for example is snappier and does not lag behind as the cursor
> moves).
>
> Currently (on my HiDPI machine) most of the rendering time (~30% of the
> all application profile) is spent in QPainter::drawPixmap(). I believe
> rewriting ScPainter on top of QPainter can make it much faster, instead
> of the current code which redraws the whole canvas as a pixmap on each
> draw event. But that is a small project of its own.

You’re correct. cursor movement is a lost faster with Host.

I’m very tempted to say let’s import this.. but honestly, scared to go through the experience with marks/bullets/numbering. Dev disappears and we don’t know the code.

Unfortunately I need Jean to review it too and he is travelling. He will likely be reading this though and he is back at the end of the week.

Can you send me the patch (or instructions on how to create it myself) and I can test on another svn tree I have for this?

thanks