[scribus-dev] CTL and Trunk: where are we at?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Apr 25 14:59:56 UTC 2016

AFAIK, all boxes related fixes in trunk are either picked in the CTL
branch, solved in a different way, or was already solved while doing the
CTL integration. The only remaining issue in this category is the
performance of linked text frames which will probably be a none-issue
when we introduce a general shaping cache (like many other users of
HarfBuzz).

Other than that, this is the list of issues we need to fix before the
code is ready to be merged:
https://github.com/HOST-Oman/scribus/milestones/Complex%20text%20layout

One particularly difficult issue in this list is breaking lines inside
ligatures: https://github.com/HOST-Oman/scribus/issues/144 To put it
simply, I don’t have a clear idea how to fix this, yet. I know how TeX
handles it (it stores both the ligated glyph and its non ligated
components in its “shaping” output) but it can’t be replicated with
HarfBuzz with a very big performance penalty (need to reshape the text
several times with and without the ligatures and check the difference)
or sacrificing layout accuracy.

Any help with the remaining issues is highly appreciated, it is only me
and Fahad working on the code now in our spare time.

Regards,
Khaled