[scribus-dev] Dear Oman team

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sun Nov 1 07:39:13 UTC 2015

> Gesendet: Sonntag, 01. November 2015 um 06:22 Uhr
> Von: "Khaled Hosny" <khaledhosny at eglug.org>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus-dev] Dear Oman team
>
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 10:19:51AM -0500, Kunda Loves Scribus wrote:

> > > I would like to add something about submitting patches :
> > >
> > > Please test your patch carefully before submiting it.
> > >
> > > Better : submit it to another student that will test it
> > > and will provide you with its feedback : "it's ok" or "it's not ok",
> > > so you can debug it in case it needs it.
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot for your dedication,
> > > JLuc
> >

> > I agree with JLuc, by doing this it saves precious volunteer time for
> > anyone involved that works with the patch.
>
> Do you have examples of untested patches being sent? AFAIK, all patches
> are tested or otherwise how the contributor knows it fixed the issue. Or
> may be I misunderstood the kind of testing needed?
>
> > And... there is another option for testing patches: Github.
> >
> > Important note: For Scribus, Github serves officially _only_ as a mirror
> > for SVN ie. so no code commits happen on it but...
>
> And that is enough reason to not bother about it, it is not an official
> part of Scribus development and is just increasing the work needed and a
> waste of everyones time. If Scribus wants/needs continuous integration,
> then it should be part of the project and not delegated to some obscure,
> unrelated GitHub repository.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled

Hi Khaled,

I totally agree with you. Scribus uses svn for all of its development branches. GIT and Github are the currently "cool" project/repository systems, but in reality they don't add any advantage compared to svn. Actually, they are making development more complicated.

Feel free to ignore Github, but keep an eye on Andreas's Github project.

Christoph