[scribus-dev] Second book cover script ( using millimeters) is ready for testing.

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jan 29 16:33:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:44:19 +0100
JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:

> Le 28/01/2015 22:20, John Culleton a écrit :
> > I'll just attach it to this reply. Thanks for
> > your help!
> That's fine now !
> I could run it and here is my feedback :
>
> - The first dialog's labels explain which is
> the unit of the expected answer. Following
> dialogs should also ! (for example, i first
> thought g/sm were expected for cover, but after
> a few trials it appears mm is a better guess)
>
> - When i press "cancel" on some dialogs, the
> script issues an error instead of clean exiting.
>
> - I could not understand the provided result.
> i dont understand how it is related to the
> input data (apart width) :
> ---> height is only vaguely related to height
> input ---> it seems the inside pages thickness
> is totally missing.
>
> It could be, however, that i'm not
> understanding what this program is aimed at.
>
> FYI : here are my datas for this test :
> book 210 x 280 mm, with 240 pages 80 g/sm and a
> 1mm thick cover

The object of the script, and one which seems to
work on my computer, is to rearrange the
dimensions of the scribus document image  to
fit those of the desired book cover,including all
three panels in correct size and a trim all
around,

to indicate  the edges of the spine with
two vertical guides,
to split each of the three  panels with a
vertical guide to aid in centering objects
therein, (total 5 vertical guides)

and to provide
a blue margin line around the whole document
consisting of the trim area and a safety area
equivalent to the .25 inch shown on the previous
script, the one in inches.

The vertical height of the document   after the
script runs should be the true vertical height of
the inside pages, plus two iterations of the
trim, one for top and one for bottom.

if you run the script two times, once for 100
pages and once for 200 pages, the spine area
should double in width (approximately).

I will check on your other comments, such as
indicating the unit of measure.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press