[scribus-dev] GSOC 2015

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Feb 14 07:49:06 UTC 2015

> Gesendet: Freitag, 13. Februar 2015 um 11:38 Uhr
> Von: "Terry Burton" <tez at terryburton.co.uk>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus-dev] GSOC 2015
>
> On 12 February 2015 at 19:16, Kunda Loves Scribus
> <scribus.user at gmail.com> wrote:
> > GSOC is underway calling to mentoring organizations to register. I was
> > wondering if this year we could submit an application? to make it simple we
> > could just focus on some low maintenance specific needs: (here is my list)
> >
> > * UI/UX improvements
> > * RTL/CJK
> > * Relaunch Scribus Website
> > * Windows MSI installer (So windows testers can use 1.5svn)
>
> Craig mentioned refreshing the barcode generator plugin recently which
> we have identified as a GSoC target in the past.
>
> We have the following task list that might form a basis for a GSoC
> project. Please feel free to update it with recent requirements:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Barcode_Plugin_Development
>
> I have no experience of Qt programming but would be happy to assist a
> member of the core with being a mentor for this if they are happy to
> provide input on code quality, etc.
>
> Terry

Thank you, Terry!

I think the task list is worth a GSoC project. If you could agree to be the major mentor and Craig, Jean, Andreas or Franz would be ready to serve as backup mentors, we might have a case here.

As for the other suggestions:

* UI/UX improvements: not specific enough, and currently irrelevant, because 1.5.0 need not be perfect, UI-wise.

* RTL/CJK: An interesting challenge would be the integration of existing code from the Arabic/Indian scripture teams, but it requires a reliable feedback mechanism.

* Relaunch Website: No chance to receive any funding from Google for this. Dennis vdW will look at it, and I think I've found someone else who might be willing to help.

* MSI installer: answered by Craig, and not worthy of a GSoC project.

Christoph