[scribus-dev] Lao, Thai, Khmer, Burmese, and Karen

Robert M Campbell robert.rcampbell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:29:32 UTC 2014

> congratulations robert!
>
> you've just been added to the complex script working group!
>

>> Just curious, which backend for text layout does Scribus currently use?
>>
>> ICU? Qt? Pango?
>>
>> I helped provide Lao support in LibreOffice (with a great degree of
>> help from the developers). I would love to try to see what I can do,
>> so any help is appreciated.
>
> more seriously, the core developers team is currently not actively
> working (mostly lack of time) on improving the support of non latin
> languages, but they accept patches and can give some hints on how to
> work on the support of complex script languages.
>
> on the other side, lately there have been a few requests of people
> willing to contribute code for support of non latin languages (or
> having working code that they want to see included in the scribus trunk).
> in parallel, kunda (who will for sure read these lines) wanted to
> create community working groups.
>
> so: let's do it!
>

> now, we need to know who (else) wants to be part this working group! :-)
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

Sounds great!

I've worked with LibreOffice in the past, helping them with
implementation of the latest ICU so that Lao would be supported. I was
given a great degree of guidance, but I believe that I could help do
something similar for Scribus, with some help.

I'm no expert at programming, but I think working together, we could
develop a solution that meets Scribus users' needs, particularly among
those using complex scripts.

-Robert M Campbell