[scribus-dev] Please confirm or comment "2 strokes accented characters cant be typed in"

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 04:02:32 UTC 2014

> To: scribus-dev at lists.scribus.info
> From: jluc at no-log.org
> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:24:03 +0200
> Subject: Re: [scribus-dev] Please confirm or comment "2 strokes accented characters cant be typed in"
>
> Le 24/06/2014 15:07, Craig Bradney a écrit :
> > We dont necessarily have control over this issue though. We receive keystrokes through the OS/DE/Qt
> > and then our own code. A whole lot can change without us changing code (and we haven't), plus its
> > different for every layout out there. If you can find an example on one system where nothing has
> > changed but Scribus then we could look for a difference.
>
> You mean its not scribus fault and that's why the bug report is not "confirmed" ?
>
> It could be that scribus has not changed,
> but nevertheless, the resulting features of this not-change have degraded.
>
> Scribus being [ not alone in space but interacting in a complex and changing
> computing environnement ] might have to evolve sometime
> when its environnement evolves, so as to continue delivering the same functions.
>
> Whether scribus fault or not, i think scribus should be able to manage
> dual-keystroke keyboard entries of words like fenêtre or Noël.
>
> Marking this bug as "confirmed" would mean that it requires some action
> so as to keep software usual keyboard behaviour.
>
> BTW ale, GregP got the bug too :
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.scribus/44671
>
> JL

I think that when you type directly into a text frame, CanvasMode_Edit in canvasmode_edit.cpp handles keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent *e).
Does it also need to handle inputMethodEvent(QInputMethodEvent *e) to get composed characters?
The story editor seems to handle composed characters in SEditor::inputMethodEvent(QInputMethodEvent *event) in ui/storyeditor.cpp.
I tried making a CanvasMode_Edit::handleKeyEvents() and CanvasMode_Edit::inputMethodEvent(QInputMethodEvent *event).  handleKeyEvents() was called for each component of the composed character but inputMethodEvent() was not called at the end, so it is probably more complicated.  Something else might need to call setAttribute(Qt::WA_InputMethodEnabled).
William