[scribus-dev] Please confirm or comment "2 strokes accented characters cant be typed in"

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue Jun 24 13:07:59 UTC 2014

On 24/06/2014 1:00 pm, a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>
> this is definitively one of the most annoying bugs...
>
> i've add a note with two confirmations in the bug tracker
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
>
>> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=12228 is yet a "new" report,
>> allthough it has been confirmed by quite a couple of scribus users
>> on the mailing lists.
>> It is also part of the candidate most annoying bugs.
>>
>> Allthough quite crucial for basic scribus use, this report still has a "new" state.
>>
>> Could some core-dev please confirm this bug in the tracker
>> or comment on it ?

>> Here is the bug's description :
>>
>> In scribus (1.5 svn version compiled on ubuntu), the canvas editing (wysiwyg editing) doesnt
>> enable anymore to type in some accented characters as ê, î, ô, û, ï, ö, ü, Ê, À, Ô etc : all those
>> that require 2 keystrokes : ^ + e, ¨ + i, ^ + SHIFT E, ...
>> Other accencted characters are typed in ok : é, è, à, À, É. These only require one keystrike.
>>
>> This happens with Qt5.2 and Qt5.3
>>
>> A workaround is to type in a text editor and copy'n'paste from there... so its not a display
>> issue. In the "story edit" window, which is not wysiwyg, these characters get typed fine.
>>
>> BTW More people have declared similar issues on fedora and even with scribus 1.4.x on scribus-dev
>> mailing list see http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.scribus/44670

We dont necessarily have control over this issue though. We receive keystrokes through the OS/DE/Qt
and then our own code. A whole lot can change without us changing code (and we haven't), plus its
different for every layout out there. If you can find an example on one system where nothing has
changed but Scribus then we could look for a difference.