[scribus-dev] Downloadable colour palettes

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Jun 17 05:46:26 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Sonntag, 16. Juni 2013 um 18:06 Uhr
> Von: "Gregory Pittman" <gpittman at iglou.com>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus-dev] Downloadable colour palettes
>
> On 06/16/2013 04:49 AM, Owen wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 08:30:04 +0200 (CEST)
> > "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> In a mostly internal discussion, Craig suggested not to expand the
> >> number of colour palettes post 1.4.3, as the sheer number could
> >> confuse users. He contemplated making additional palettes available
> >> for download instead, similar to the hyphenation dictionary choice he
> >> has implemented.
> >>
> >> This sounds like an excellent idea to me, and we could even reduce
> >> the number of palettes being shipped with Scribus by default.
>
> >> Couldn't agree more.
> >>
> >> My suggestion would be
> >>
> >> Scribus Basic
> >> Scribus Splash
> >> Oxygen
> >> Tango
> >> X11
> >> X11 Grey
> >>
> >> and maybe
> >>
> >> Open SUSE
> >> Ubuntu CMYK
> >> Ubuntu RGB
> >>

> >> And yes, make all the others down loadable with references to licences
> >> as applicable.
> >>

> I think any inclusion of palettes with spot colors can be confusing to
> those who don't understand spot colors.

I respectfully disagree. While many users may be unfamiliar with the concept of spot colours, it is an essential part of professional printing. Some of the colour palettes shipped swith Scribus are simply project-related, e.g., Gnome or Tango. They are only a service for those who work on publications related to those projects and be easily removed to a download repo. But spot colour palettes (the majority of the files) are standardised colours, for which printed references exist. It's the existence of printed references that constitutes their value. I'd also like to point out that the different colour types are being explained in the docs, and we have tooltips as well. If users ignore the documentation and the tooltips, they do so at their own peril, just like the woman that put her wet dog into a microwave oven to dry ;)

Christoph