[scribus-dev] Scribus Generator for 1.4.3?

Cedric Gémy cedric.gemy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:21:34 UTC 2013

Hello

Yes i know this script and already tried to use, but as far as i remember
there are several issues with it :
- i creates single page files, which makes it unusable for catalog or such
documents a document difficult especially when a master pate or style
update is needed (i mean unless we have a 'book' system)
- i generates PDF by itself and there are lacks in PDF API, such as
vectorizing fonts. I've had trouble with this in the past
- it doesn't really use Scribus for replacement and except having the PDF
export, it doesn't reall use scribus API
- we can't say how content would behave if it's length changes (several /
page or not...)
- we should make possible to use several sources, not only CSV

I've already tested other approach that worked but we still miss car style
apply in the API which would help a lot for this.

I think this plugin is interesting but is worth a real job on it. May
scripter2 could help in the future. We have too many scripts that still
can't work event with scripter1. We need a better workflow to keep them
up2date otherwise we show we are unable to be consistent and that the
community is not so active.
May be do like inkscape : add the best scripts in the release to make them
more visible, give functionnalities to users, and eventually keep an eye on
it ?
That way we could have a running test script that would check for problems
as soon that some changes is done in the API or a related function.

pygmee

2013/2/25 "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>

> Hi all,
>
> As some of you know, there exists a Python script called Scribus Generator
> that provides some kind of "Mail Merge" feature to Scribus:
> http://www.ekkehardwill.de/sg/
>
> Maybe some of our Python gurus could have a look at it and fix potential
> issues, so it can be included in 1.4.3. The licence is compatible with ours
> (MIT), and the author provides a documentation file. It would be easy to
> write a new doc page based on the PDF.
>
> That way we'd have something new to offer for 1.4.3, aside from the Haiku
> port.
>
> Christoph

Cédric Gémy
Formationlibre.org
FlossManualsFrancophone
Association Francophone des Graphistes Libres