[scribus-dev] [Scribus 0010673]: Select on multiple layer

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue May 29 18:31:10 UTC 2012

On 05/29/2012 01:50 PM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi
>
>>>      in vienna we have discussed the way the selection on multiple
>>> layers works and we found it too complicated too use.
>>>
>>>      our proposal is to just add a preference to say if the user
>>> wants to be
>>>      able to select items across the layers and then, allow the
>>> selections:
>>>      - on the current layer
>>>      - on all non locked layers
>>>
>>>      enabling the selection for each layer seems to be too
>>> complicated to use and we think that a general switch should be
>>> enough.
>>>

>>> IMO not that's too complicated, just that you sometimes need to
>>> spread "linked" objects among and that the need to move them
>>> together is here. Some examples :
>>>
>>> - you have a link adress http of email and had created a PDF link
>>> over it (on a new layer). If you move the text frame, you'd like to
>>> move the link with it
>>>
>>> - you have pictures on a  layer and text on another (practical to
>>> manage sources and display, or manage same ressources for several
>>> language document where you would make one layer / lang. You would
>>> like to move them together too
>>>
>> With the outline dialog you can do this...
>
> i guess that there is a misunderstanding here:
>
> - in trunk it is currently possible to choose which layers are always
>    "accessible"
>
> - nobody wants to remove any feature from the outline dialog

??
> - on the one side, i want to know if somebody has a use for the very
>    granular solution which has been recently added (there is a new
>    "select object on layer" checkbox in the layers dialog)
>
> - on the other side, i want to know from people actually working with
>    scribus would prefere just enable the   feature in the preferences
>    and then have all non locked layers accessible.

but would someone always want this? If so, what's the point of having
layers? It seems they just become a second kind of level.
Maybe in addition to the individual layer selection, there might be a
multilayer selection as a choice.

The only point I wanted to make was that the ability to select across
layers exists in the Outline dialog. Perhaps something to consider might
be allowing for an across-layer Group to exist.

Some time ago we had a to and fro on the list about "how many layers
seem sensible" in a document. It seems that some feel that 20, 30 layers
are just a very normal thing.