[scribus-dev] [Scribus 0010673]: Select on multiple layer

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue May 29 00:23:14 UTC 2012

On 05/28/2012 05:04 PM, Cedric Gémy wrote:
> Yes, but when you have 20 or 30 objects in a page, you just don't want
> to use the outline (you don't have object preview there) if you can
> just click. Outline is cool, even if it could be improved, but i guess
> it cannot take the place of a user-friendly feature, especially if it
> is not so hard to implement.
>
> In fact, we should just wonder :
> - how many user select by clicking
> - how many select in the outline dialog

Not sure I understand. I use Outline with the page visible, so that I
see what is selected as I go -- hold down Ctrl to select/deselect as you
go (by 'just clicking').
One potential hassle with a large number of objects is that you may not
know the name of a frame -- hmm, is that Text 35 or Text 3? -- but you
do know what is on a given page. I also see as I play around that you
can use the Outline dialog to change the names of the frames, perhaps
worth something in that regard.

I'm not sure how many people are needing to select objects on different
layers to move them together...this by itself may not be too common.
I guess the trick to do it your way is to retain a selection even though
you switch layers, but if you do that, how do you unselect an item?
Double-click? I wonder if this would begin to create new problems.