[scribus-dev] [Scribus 0010673]: Select on multiple layer

Cedric Gémy cedric.gemy at gmail.com
Mon May 28 21:04:44 UTC 2012

Yes, but when you have 20 or 30 objects in a page, you just don't want to
use the outline (you don't have object preview there) if you can just
click. Outline is cool, even if it could be improved, but i guess it cannot
take the place of a user-friendly feature, especially if it is not so hard
to implement.

In fact, we should just wonder :
- how many user select by clicking
- how many select in the outline dialog

I guess the first. May be we you define the exact functional area of the
outline. may be a UI discussion on this ?

2012/5/27 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>

>  On 05/27/2012 03:49 PM, Cedric Gémy wrote:
>
> Lo
>

>  in vienna we have discussed the way the selection on multiple layers
>> works and we found it too complicated too use.
>>
>> our proposal is to just add a preference to say if the user wants to be
>> able to select items across the layers and then, allow the selections:
>> - on the current layer
>> - on all non locked layers
>>
>> enabling the selection for each layer seems to be too complicated
>> to use and we think that a general switch should be enough.
>>

> IMO not that's too complicated, just that you sometimes need to spread
> "linked" objects among and that the need to move them together is here.
> Some examples :
>
> - you have a link adress http of email and had created a PDF link over it
> (on a new layer). If you move the text frame, you'd like to move the link
> with it
>
> - you have pictures on a  layer and text on another (practical to manage
> sources and display, or manage same ressources for several language
> document where you would make one layer / lang. You would like to move them
> together too
>
>   With the outline dialog you can do this...
>
> Greg

Cédric Gémy
Formationlibre.org
FlossManualsFrancophone
Association Francophone des Graphistes Libres