[scribus-dev] [Scribus 0010673]: Select on multiple layer

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Jun 25 06:40:03 UTC 2012

ciao marcelo,

> it seems to be a discussion among developers... don't know if it's
> open to regular just-users. But anyway let me tell you that this
> feature would really help a more dinamic work on Scribus and, of
> course, open some other conflicts. However, all problems around
> multilayer selection is far already resolved by almost all software
> of the kind not to mention Adobe InDesign and seems incredible to not
> have it yet, indeed. By the way, Inkscape is not really the best
> example to follow, because of the following issue.

the feature is in and there is no plan to remove it!

my question was about correcting the way it is implemented.

> As developers of this feature, please remember that multilayer
> selecting will give the chance to multilayer grouping; and after that
> comes ungrouping. What will Scribus do with all the just released
> objects that some time used to belong to different layers? Please, if
> you have a chance to work on the point, let these objects return to
> the original layers and don't -for God sake!- let them in the layer
> were the group was, as Inkscape does. The reason is one often needs
> to group so many objects that not delivering them to their original
> layers results in a kind of image flattening.

just tested: currently grouping is disabled if the items are on
multiple layers.
considering the problems you're pointing us to, this was probably a sane
idea when creating the first implementation.
now we can do better!

please write a feature request if you want it to be enabled...

> Conflicts:
> What if an original layer was deleted?... My sugestion: the just
> ungrouped objects should re-create it.
> What if you copy/paste a group into another document and ungroup
> it... then again the just ungrouped objects should create all the
> layers they used to be in. That's a Pandora box for the new document,
> but even when the new document gets full of annoying layers should be
> positive to keep the layer structure of the former group. Or at least
> let pop up a dialog ask if Scribus do this or mix them up with the
> currently selected layer objects

not sure that automatically recreating layers is a good way of doing
but if there is an agreement among graphics designers that this is a
good idea, why not do it?

a popup could help, but i really hate popups and needing one, is mostly
a sign that the basic idea is not mature enough...

i think that the best thing you can do, is to write a feature request
and give as many implementation details as you can think of! (corner
cases that must be correctly implemented; ah, writing "just do it like
adobe" does not count: we cant fire up indesign and just copy them!)

the bug tracker is at
http://bugs.scribus.net
and the devs read it very very attentively!

thanks for the feedback and have a nice day
a.l.e