[scribus-dev] [Scribus 0010673]: Select on multiple layer

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Jun 5 14:02:09 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 08:54 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi georg,
>
>> I’m a designer and used InDesign a lot. I would freak out if I could
>> not select elements on all layers. This would be a BIG pain in the
>> ass. So I don’t understand the discussion. If there is any chance to
>> implement this, do it.
>
> this discussion got somehow sidetracked.
>
> after a long time, franz has implemented it in 1.5svn (the development
> version, not ready yet for broad use).
>
> i -- and other people who have tried -- feel that the way it is
> implemented is too cumbersome.

I agree, the way it works in 1.5.0 seems clumsy. I'm not sure that
having this in Preferences is the best solution either, though perhaps a
partial solution, for those who want to select across layers most/all
the time.

I would think that at least some would like to quickly/easily turn
on/turn off across-layer selection. This seems like a task for some kind
of right-clicking procedure, but on what?

Maybe layer-switching can be improved. Could it be some kind of slider?
A keyboard shortcut? Now it's a two-click operation using the selector
at the bottom of the page, and a side effect is to deselect what was on
the previous layer. Persistence of that selection is part of what is needed.