[scribus-dev] Text-formatting

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Jul 12 16:26:09 UTC 2012

hi britta,
> I dont understand how text-formatting works??
>
> In InDesign the formatting dont depend of what the box is set to - in
> Scribus - if I have changed 5 lines to an other font and an other size
> - set a return, I go back to the box setup, and I have to get new font
> and size again - crazy !
>
> or am I doing something wrong - I have tried many many things
at first, i wanted to tell you that you should have posted your request
to the scribus list and not the development one (this one is the
scribus-dev list, the list for the people interested in the development
of scribus).

BUT:

you're not doing anything wrong...

and technically speaking, scribus is not doing anything wrong, either.

this is an issue with the way the text frame currently work in scribus
and i'm glad that the devs see that people are going crazy because of
this (well, i'm not glad that YOU are going crazy...)

the workardound -- as you may already have found -- is to never start
from the first char nor from the last char.
set the pointer to the second or the one before the last one and start
from there and then remove the extra chars
if you do this you will lose productivity, but at least you will not go
crazy :-)

if you're interested in details i can tell you why this happens... but
it may be tedious for you...
if somebody reading this is interested in fixing it, i can give some
ideas on how to fix it...

let's hope that we will a much better behavior in scribus 1.6!

ciao
a.l.e