[scribus-dev] TIFF -- which version?

John L. Poole jlpoole56 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:09:32 UTC 2012

I'm going through the process of building the high watermark of Scribus
on Windows and came across an issue regarding the Tagged Image Format
("TIFF") standard.

A dependency for Scribus is the Sourceforge color management project
Little Color Management System.  The Scribus build notes for Windows
suggests that the latest version of Little CMS is acceptable, so I had
downloaded and tried to build lcms2-2.3 and ran into problems due to
missing header files, specifically tiff_io.h.  Within package lcms2-2.
is a reference or dependency upon TIFF 3.9.4, so the prime mover behind
lcms, Marti Maria,is using TIFF 3.9.4 in his release.

The Windows build for Scribus specifies TIFF 3.8.2 obtainable at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/files/tiff/3.8.2/.  It appears
that for the gnuwin32 project, their high watermark is TIFF 3.8.2.

So now there is a disparity: Scribus to date has been relying on TIFF
3.8.2 or earlier version.  Meanwhile Little CMS has adopted a later
version of TIFF at 3.9.4.  Add to this a third wrinkle: there appears to
be a version 4.2 of TIFF as blessed by the OSGeo project which is
maintaining the defunct remotesensing.org web site.

The current version of the TIFF
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format) libraries
offered at http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/ (more about this site
below) is v4.0.2 <http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/v4.0.2.html>

So I started doing some research on TIFF and learned that it is a
proprietary standard developed by Aldus and now owned by Adobe.  Being
proprietary, the TIFF standard is not subject to an open standards
committee or such.  "It has been much long neglected" opines Joris Van
Damme, a developer who follos TIFF
http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/faq.html.  There has not been
much revision in TIFF recently, although there is a TIFFBIG
specification which uses 64-bit offsets and thereforecan break the 4
Gigabtye limitation of the TIFF's 32 bit offset standard.

It seems the OSGeo project comprising of over 160 companies and
organizations has been promoting its flavor of TIFF and offers it
through the remotesening.org site referenced above.

Then I have the question: does the library offered under the GnuWin
project offer something unique for windows, or can the OSGeo library be
compiled for windows.  This is something I'll find out, but I share this
issue here in case someone has knowledge or an opinion about this.

What I'd like learn from this list are any opinions about TIFF that
weigh against trying to incorporate the v4.0.2 into the dependencies and
Scribus build?  It doesn't seem like much risk, but I thought I'd bring
this issue to focus in this email to learn if there are any factors
weighing against trying latter versions, varied they be, of TIFF.