[scribus-dev] state of the art of table, from a tester pov

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Jul 5 23:50:01 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 06:36 PM, ale rimoldi wrote:

> while i was preparing the talk on scribus 1.6 for the rmll
> (http://rmll.info), i've gone through the tables and can confirm most
> of the issues jluc encountered...

Indeed. I was thinking of beginning some documentation on the new Table
function, but found it so unusable that It isn't worth the bother at
this time. I would not recommend that anyone try tables out in 1.5.0 at
this time.

Some elemental things I find:

The cells are only usable for text and in a manual way. You cannot Get
Text for them, you cannot Ctrl-V to them, only type manually. You cannot
apply a Paragraph style to an individual cell or to the table as a
whole. I think at this point having a Table tab in Properties is wasted
space, since it really doesn't do much of anything, and doesn't avoid
the need to (mostly) use the context menu. Tables are probably a perfect
instance of the value of a free-floating dialog for tables.

What is working is applying justification, columns, distances, various
text features, all manually, and cell-by-cell.

Ideally, I think a cell should function or virtually function like a
frame, so that you could transfer the contents of a text frame to a
cell. So that you could tear it apart and have the cells separated from
each, yet still having table settings and characteristics. So that you
could convert a cell to an image frame. An alternative might be to
insert a frame/glue into a cell, so that if you change the dimensions of
the cell, you change the dimensions of the internal frame. We're
seemingly a long way off from importing CSV data, let alone an Excel
file to a table.

There is yet no way to specify the border on individual sides of a cell,
and seemingly no way to have no border at all if that's what you would
like. The way that the borders work is possible to figure out but rather
"esoteric" to be kind.

I can even envision having some way to transform tables with some of the
Path tools -- individual cells along a path, for example.

The way tables work now, we might actually do better by adding the
ability to specify the borders of individual sides of all frames, then
use Scripter to make a tabular arrangement of a number of frames.