[scribus-dev] deb + ubuntu: migrating scribus-ng users to the scribus package

Benedykt 'Silmeth' Jaworski b.jaworski at kofeina.net
Thu Feb 9 19:35:35 UTC 2012

W dniu 08.02.2012 07:03, Sonic Spuds pisze:
> This sounds like a good solution to me, maybe use a dummy package to
replace scribus-ng for now which depends on the scribus package.

<mailto:ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>> wrote:

> [...]
> - scribus' own repository contains 1.4rc6 (january 2012) for
> the "scribus-ng" package
>
> on top of it:
> - for ubuntu there is a PPA with the current 1.5svn managed by the
> ubuntu project.
> - ubuntu users would prefer to have scribus' own packages being
> packaged as PPAs, too.
> - malex wishes to wait for the "armel" bug being fixed before pushing
> 1.4 as a stable into the official debian repositories.
>

> now the big question: what do we want the people to use?
>
> in my eyes:
> - people should use 1.4.x for their daily work.
> - 1.5.0 is not ready yet to be used by people who are not involved in
> the development of scribus.
>

> despite of having been using debian and ubuntu for years now, i don't
> have deep knowledges of the packaging rules (so i'm not sure if my
> proposal is possible). but i'd like to suggest the following migration
> path:
> - the "scribus" package should carry 1.4.x on debian testing
> and on scribus' own repository. (i don't think anybody will come to a
> different proposal for this...)
> - scribus-ng should become a dummy package inviting the
> people to use the "scribus" package instead of "scribus-ng" (both in
> testing and in the scribus own repository). this could be achieved by
> putting in there a scribus 1.4 with a startup warning telling
> the users to switch to "scribus" (something like the ghostscript
> warning)
> - people using debian stable (or older ubuntus) will have to add the
> scribus own repositories to get 1.4 in the "scribus" package: we
> can't change the versions in the stable repositories.
>
> as soon as scribus 1.5 will be ready to be tested by a broader public
> (i think that the minimal requirement for it to happen, is to have
> the undo for text) it can be packaged as scribus-ng.
>

> by this proposal, i mainly want to avoid that users who are looking for
> a stable modern scribus are migrated to an unstable 1.5 without their
> express willing to do so.
>

> one last thought: i wonder if it's really useuful to have a scribus-ng
> package in the debian repositories... or if scribus-ng should in the
> future only be in the scribus' own repositories.
> scribus-ng was necessary, because 1.4 has taken so long to be
> released, but i'm really not sure, that it will be still useful if the
> releases get closer (as it has been proposed and -- i think --
> everybody wishes).
> if we can agree that scribus-ng should not be in the official debian
> repositories, i think that it should be possible to get apt to
> ask the users to replace scribus-ng by scribus making the transition
> much easier.
> as soon as scribus-ng will be needed again, it will be added
> again but only to the scribus' own repositories (this will be much
> easier to manage!)
>

> voilà the mail got longer than i would have liked...

You can make dummy scribus-ng packages that, when updated, will ask
people if they want to install the new stable release (scribus package)
or new development one (and then you need to change, at least for one
version, name of package for something like scribus-svn or scribus-ng-2,
or whatever).

But I think this would be the best way - to inform users while
upgrade'ing and let them chose what they want.

silmeth