[scribus-dev] Tentative feature freeze for Scribus 1.5svn

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Dec 28 21:30:59 UTC 2012

On 12/28/2012 02:17 PM, cedric.gemy at gmail.com wrote:
> I think we could save more space in Text properties just by changing
> some UI widgets. Actually, the UI team has made some proposals and we
> are waiting for the first implementation to go further in the
> modifications because we agreed that we could not do it in only one
> release. Our plan is :
>
> - have a target
> - do some changes
> - listen to users
> - do some changes keeping the target and user in mind ...

Sooner or later, I think some things have to be moved out of Properties.
I could envision an XYZ toolbar where you can always adjust everything
in that tab for whatever object is selected, while you leave the Text
tab selected in Properties.
Style selection could easily be taken out of the Text tab. It's just
awkward in there. Anything in Text which is a simple selection,
justification for example, could be in a Text menu item, or maybe in the
context menu. First line offset, and Optical Margins are all simple
selections.
The tabs selection areas could as easily be on the side of the
Properties palette, and would not take up space inside it.

I would propose that in addition to incremental changes there can also
be attempts at wild, dramatic changes, which might inspire incremental
change.