[scribus-dev] feature of welding page items

Cezary Grabski czarek at oferuje.pl
Wed Oct 12 11:38:37 UTC 2011

Hi
I have start thinking (even developing) feature of page items welding.
I mean "connecting" page items like grouping do, but without creating group of
items. Result is only that moving one of "welded" item moves all "welded"
items. Items are still editable and accessible one by one, only moves
together.

That feature bring us solution for captions frames, must have feature for
footnotes frames, and after some enhance also auto-aligning to margins,
columns, page and many others usage cases, I suppose.

I plan to give 9 weld points for each item ( [left,center, right] X [top,
center, bottom] matrix) for weld with 9 weld points of other item.

At start I plan only to include new menu entry Weld Items in Item menu with
few most usable commands for welding items (leftTop to botomLeft, centerTop to
centerBottom, topRight to topLeft).
But in the future there should be some nice graphical UI with access to all 9
weld points (maybe in Align/Distribute dialogbox? as in fact it is some auto-
aligning feature).

What do you think about this idea?
Has this sense for you?
Should I continue my work on it?
Maybe there is some design for that already?

cezaryece