[scribus-dev] Preparations for GSoC

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Fri May 20 07:03:37 UTC 2011

Morning, short reply before I go to school.

2011/5/19 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>:
> hi
>>
>> 1) By default, row heights would never shrink below the size of the
>> cell content, but we could have a table (possibly row) property "Allow
>> cell frames to overflow" to allow this.
>
> i don't see a reason for it... text frames can overflow, cells should do the
> same...
> but i'd welcome two commands (which are currently missing for text frames):
> - resize frame (vertically / horizontally) to fit the text

Alright, so the code needs to be written anyway, whether it's invoked
automatically or manually.

> - delete the overflowing text (useful for lore ipsums and for text imported
> from .odt files (people tend to leave lots of empty lines at the end of
> their files...)

Okay.

>> 2) With this way of working, table size, both width and height, is
>> completely detached from frame size. They are not linked in any way.
>> However, we could have options similar to those for images: "Adjust
>> Frame to Table" and "Adjust Table to Frame". The latter would show the
>> same options for distributing the space as shown in the widget in the
>> mockup.
>
> yep
>

>> 3) If the user has picked e.g. "Proportional" for distributing
>> horizontal space, but then starts resizing columns anyway, the combo
>> in the widget could automatically go to "Manual", as a convenience.
>
> personally, i was not thinking of "proportional" as a setting for the table,
> but as a command: distribute proportionally, now!
>
> you will have to launch the command each time you resize the table.

Right, it could be done like that too. But these are details, I think
we are in good agreement of the general functionality.

> but this is another discussion: what happens when the user increases the
> width of a column?
> should the table grow? should the next column shrink? should all other
> collumns shrink?
> i wonder what is the workflow which gives the most predictable result (and
> the most tweakable...)
> i guess we have to play a bit with it...

Yes, I wonder too.

In Libre/-OpenOffice resizing a column will resize the column next to
it, but resizing a row all following rows are moved.

In InDesign (by default) following row/columns are moved when resizing
rows and columns, but with Shift pressed, resizing will resize the
row/column next to it instead.

I like the way InDesign does it. I think we should support both like they do.

Elvis