[scribus-dev] Preparations for GSoC

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu May 19 16:07:55 UTC 2011

hi
> 1) By default, row heights would never shrink below the size of the
> cell content, but we could have a table (possibly row) property "Allow
> cell frames to overflow" to allow this.

i don't see a reason for it... text frames can overflow, cells should do
the same...
but i'd welcome two commands (which are currently missing for text frames):
- resize frame (vertically / horizontally) to fit the text
- delete the overflowing text (useful for lore ipsums and for text
imported from .odt files (people tend to leave lots of empty lines at
the end of their files...)

> 2) With this way of working, table size, both width and height, is
> completely detached from frame size. They are not linked in any way.
> However, we could have options similar to those for images: "Adjust
> Frame to Table" and "Adjust Table to Frame". The latter would show the
> same options for distributing the space as shown in the widget in the
> mockup.

yep

> 3) If the user has picked e.g. "Proportional" for distributing
> horizontal space, but then starts resizing columns anyway, the combo
> in the widget could automatically go to "Manual", as a convenience.

personally, i was not thinking of "proportional" as a setting for the
table, but as a command: distribute proportionally, now!

you will have to launch the command each time you resize the table.

but this is another discussion: what happens when the user increases the
width of a column?
should the table grow? should the next column shrink? should all other
collumns shrink?
i wonder what is the workflow which gives the most predictable result
(and the most tweakable...)
i guess we have to play a bit with it...

ciao
a.l.e