[scribus-dev] Tables GSoC draft proposal

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:35:28 CEST 2011

2011/3/29 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>:
> hi elvis,
>
> looks like a solid proposal!
>
> looking at the past GSOC projects and considering how important table
> editing is,  i'd like to suggest:
>
> - integrating the code into the trunk should be part of the GSOC (and not
> happen at some later time; the answer from craig to your mail may suggest
> that this may happen...)

right. i guess the idea is i'll be working in a branch and regularly
keep in sync with trunk? i don't know how much time i'll have to
schedule for the integration into trunk, but hopefully it won't be
that much work. as you can see i also have five days after the
official "pencils down" date until school starts again. i have no
problem with using these days for further work on the project, maybe
the integration could be scheduled on those days.

anyway, i'll put the trunk integration into the proposal somehow.

> - you may define the extensions to your implementation which are important
> but you could / may not fit into the time frame of the GSOC (having an idea
> about the future direction may help people interested in single features to
> implement them as an "independent" project in the near future)

good idea, i'll add an "outlook" section. although this section will
of course be of tentative nature. a more correct one will come in my
final report.

> some more specific ideas:
> - i'd rather to have some binding to the scripter API than "native" CSV
> import (and i'm not sure how badly i want to have them imported from .odt...
> going through CSV may be enough...)

alright, i'll keep that in mind. the importing features are also
features that i decided to put in my contingency plan as features that
may be dropped if time is short. but it's good to know that CSV > ODT.

> - column / rows spanning is imo more important than page breaking (and i
> wonder whether it's also easier to implement)

although they are both non-trivial, i would say row/column spanning is
easier than breaking without a doubt.

> - as craig wrote, it would be better to have both table implementations in
> parallel in trunk (and remove the old one when its features are matched by
> the ng one: this has been done for the preferences, the scripter and the
> PP...)

yea, i'll make sure to keep them both in there.

> voilà, i wish you good luck with your proposal and -- hopefully -- with your
> GSOC project!

thanks! and thanks for the good review. i gotto go to school soon, but
will come up with a new draft later tonight i think.

Elvis