[scribus-dev] could context menus digest Properties (without heartburn, heartache, or cardiac arrest)?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Jun 21 01:54:24 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 12:26 PM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi greg,
>
>> What if we came up with a scheme to kill Properties altogether, and
>> instead create something we might characterize as a "context menu on
>> steroids"?
>>
>> Can we embed everything pertinent in Properties in a context menu?
>> There might be some persistence that needs to be built-in to make this
>> useful, but it seems a useful mental exercise to me.
>
> as i wrote, i would be interested in a way to edit relevant settings
> without moving the mouse (and without learning tedious shortcuts), but
> until now i've not seen any convincing proposals (well, if i have to
> tell the truth, my proposals were not judged ok by other people...).
> i like how mypaint (and martin) solved it for the color picking... maybe
> there is a solution for DTP, too!
>
> but i don't think that we should kill the PP... they should probably
> coexist...
>
> let's think about it!

I suggested this in a blatant attempt to be provocative. Another way of
looking at it might be that Properties needs to defend its own existence
by showing that this block of mostly static screen space makes some kind
of utilitarian sense. The nice thing about the context menu is that it's
only there when you need it, yet a single click away at all times.