[scribus-dev] Help !

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Jul 15 00:27:48 UTC 2011

On 07/14/2011 07:58 PM, Marc Hoy wrote:
> Hi Scribus Community !
> I have a problem that probably many people have. I started using the
> experimental version of Scribus - the 1.4.Orc3 - and - as I'm sure
> anyone who uses it knows, it's buggy as hell !
> But that's not the main problem.
> The principal crisis is that I am in way too deep to abandon it at
> this point (I am finishing the second reformatting of a text - over
> 300 pages, with 250+ illustrations), and - here's the killer - I can't
> open my Scribus file/doc in any other version of Scribus.
> Nor will this doc work in any other kind of software. I can convert it
> to pdf, of course, but no other pdf reader (I've tried about a dozen -
> a bunch of Windows pdf readers, and several Ubuntu/Linux types - I
> have both OS's on my computer, though the Scribus is installed on
> Windows XP) will render it manipulable. It just comes out as varying
> types of gibberish.
> So - any ideas on how I can translate this document to another kind of
> publishing software ?
> I've had several computer-savvy friends try to do this, without success.
> But none of them have had much experience with Scribus, and I'm hoping
> someone in the community has faced down this particular demon, and won.
> I would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL if anyone with any ideas would offer
> comments/suggestions/ideas, etc. etc.

HI Marc,

1. Best to send these things to the regular User mail list (see the list
of recipients)

2. You should be able to get the rc5 1.4.0, which can load this file.
There are still a few bugs, but probably not show stoppers for you.

3. Another work around is to save page content to the Scrapbook, then go
to an older version in the 1.3.5 series, and pull them in there. This
uses the same Scrapbook.