[scribus-dev] Help !

Marc Hoy tmhoy1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 23:58:34 UTC 2011

Hi Scribus Community !
I have a problem that probably many people have. I started using the
experimental version of Scribus - the 1.4.Orc3 - and - as I'm sure anyone
who uses it knows, it's buggy as hell !
But that's not the main problem.
The principal crisis is that I am in way too deep to abandon it at this
point (I am finishing the second reformatting of a text - over 300 pages,
with 250+ illustrations), and - here's the killer - I can't open my Scribus
file/doc in any other version of Scribus.
Nor will this doc work in any other kind of software. I can convert it to
pdf, of course, but no other pdf reader (I've tried about a dozen - a bunch
of Windows pdf readers, and several Ubuntu/Linux types - I have both OS's on
my computer, though the Scribus is installed on Windows XP) will render it
manipulable. It just comes out as varying types of gibberish.
So - any ideas on how I can translate this document to another kind of
publishing software ?
I've had several computer-savvy friends try to do this, without success.
But none of them have had much experience with Scribus, and I'm hoping
someone in the community has faced down this particular demon, and won.
I would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL if anyone with any ideas would offer
comments/suggestions/ideas, etc. etc.
Thank you.
Marc